2.16.2011

My Typewriter. [Retro Series Part I]

So I've been pondering my interest in retro stuff, old technology from the 80's and before, and wanted to write a post about something that I not only love, but use relatively often. I figured, "Hey, my Walkman sits around most of the time, as does my slide rule and old film SLR camera, but my typewriter is still pretty active." Hence, the first part in my retro series about my typewriter.





The first thing I am asked when I am seen using my typewriter is, "Why?" Well, for one thing, it's old and awesome, and it helps me improve my accuracy. (Whiting out every mistake is not something you want to have to do with any amount of frequency.) Plus, I don't have a printer, and will welcome anything that will allow me the freedom of having to lug my laptop to school and print on the lone printer outside the library. (The school library isn't open until 10 min. AFTER my class starts.) Now that I've got the intro out of the way, let's get to the machine itself.

Model: 1971 Hermes Rocket, Serial No. 9219863
Type: Portable, marketed as Hermes' most portable typewriter, at a nifty 11 lbs.


Some things I like about it:
-The sound it makes is just great to hear. Now I've always enjoyed the clack-clack of old computer keyboards being typed on at high speed, so the typewriter is just great.
-Convenience. I know this may sound strange in a world of electronic documents, but hey. If you need to get a paper typed at school when there's no computer open, and you don't have your laptop (or it ran out of battery) you've got no options left. This way I've got a last-ditch option, should I "├╝ber-procrastinate" or just not have a computer at hand.
-The look and feel of a Swiss made machine is just great. It feels as though I am actually putting in effort to get the words on the page, and that retro look cannot be replicated by even the most high-resolution printer.
-Making folder labels. Isn't it a pain to have to download that template for your printer every time you want to make one for a file folder or tab divider? It's much easier to type those on a typewriter, since you can choose exactly where the letters will show up; positioning the paper is much easier than in a printer.
-I LOVE RETRO STUFF.

Acknowledged Limitations--When NOT to use a typewriter:
-when it's needed to submit a paper online
-when you know you'll need to revise or rewrite
-if there's any chance you'll need to do more in-the-moment editing than just a letter, for example rearranging whole paragraphs
-if you need to use multiple fonts or different font sizes
-etc. etc.

It lives on my desk, except when I use it at school:




But for fun, like writing journal entries, or for a final reflection, final draft, or just what would be normally handwritten (like history outlines or lecture notes), the typewriter is a retro alternative. I love using mine, and think it's pretty cool to have.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are really amazing!! Not that I'm surprised though... after looking at your FaceBook pictures no one would be

    ReplyDelete