Smith-Corona Silent typewriter. [Retro Series Part V]

Whoa whoa whoa. This typewriter thing is getting somewhat out of hand. First I'm cruising along with my Hermes Rocket, a perfect machine for all my purposes, and then along comes the Smith Corona Classic 12, also in great condition but a little dirty and a lot less portable. I'm fine with those two machines for about 11 months...
Then what happens? I get a Brother deluxe 220 from Germany on the 16th of July and then ANOTHER typewriter on the 30th of July-a vintage 1952 Smith-Corona Silent-from an ANTIQUE shop for upwards of $70!!!
There is much to be said about the merits of having supporting parents, particularly a supporting father, who is behind you in all your endeavors, emotionally as well as financially. In my case, behind my typewriter collecting craze.  :P
Enough of this philosophical talk and on to the machine in question.

Model: 1952 Smith-Corona Silent
Serial No.: 5S325980

This machine is just great. When I spotted it at the sixth antique shop of the day (I went with my dad to about 6 or 7 antique shops around Chicago; it was just us two with a Saturday to ourselves. ☺) I was amazed and wanted to try it out. The price tag said 88 bucks so I had no expectations of having my dad buy it for me.

I was amazed not only at the machine itself but at how lovingly it was taken care of. No dust, no scratches, nothing to indicate that it was anything other than brand-spanking new other than a hopelessly dried out ribbon.
You have to understand, before this shop, I had seen other typewriters in various states of decay. Bent keys, jammed keys, dust and mold growing in and out of the cracks, cracked bodies, broken margin stops and shift mechanisms (a couple of Underwood #5's) and overall hopelessly abandoned machines in need of major TLC.
When I saw this one, it called to me. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)

So the guy at the shop said that he would take 20% off if we decided that it was the machine to purchase. For a princely sum of $77 and some change, my awesome dad took it off the guy's hands and put it into mine.

How does it type, though? Well, I will now present to the world my first typecast, a poem written on some vintage looking telegram stationery that I printed (courtesy of machinesoflovinggrace.com). Enjoy!

Changing the ribbon was involved, as I had to wind it onto a new spool and then shove it into the typewriter.
My mom got the ribbon from India for a meager Rs. 37, about $0.83 in USA. She got about 14 of them at my request. Now I have ribbon that'll last me for a while, and won't break the bank. ☻

All I can say is, this one is great. I had a minor problem with the @ sign key jamming on the ribbon vibrator but with a little skillful bending that problem was appeased. :) Now it's in perfect working order.

In the pictures I have included the door for the ribbon as well as highlights, such as the "Floating shift" icon near the typebars and the door for the tab stops.


  1. I really enjoyed the typecast! That's a nice machine there.

  2. Excellent background story and profile of your Corona Silent! well done!

  3. I recently found a Smith Corona nearly identical to yours, and have been unsuccessful in trying to find some information about it. Would you be willing to look at some pictures of mine if you have the time?

    1. Of course! Send me the pics at jazzclarinettist at gmail dot com.