11.27.2012

New device, doesn't work / Don't buy a WikiReader


Technology...
Just received my new WikiReader--if you've never heard of it, it's a small device that basically is a Wikipedia reader, offline.
Problem is, mine doesn't work.
It doesn't get past the initial on screen when powered up. I was really looking forward to being able to use it.
I emailed tech support, but don't think I will get a response, unfortunately.
One consolation I have is that I still have my green Machinery's Handbook 16th ed. from 1962--which will always give me instant access to almost all te engineering info, formulae, sin cos tan log tables, and diagrams, I need.
Tech, especially new things that don't work as expected, are extremely frustrating.


3 comments:

  1. It's a shame that product doesn't work. I've started using the Google Search voice function to access Wikipedia through various iDevices. That works very well and I'm looking forward to seeing a Nexus 7 in action.

    I keep some dead tree reference manuals on all kinds of interesting and obscure subjects. The Internet is dependent on a whole lot of wire, switches and electrons moving just right. I find the paper option to be comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to hear your WikiReader is not working. I've never used one, but I did think they would be a useful device. To be useful though, it must work.

    I have 3 books that I have used since college. The same 2 that I have seen on most every engineers desk. The mechanical engineers seldom have Terman's Radio Engineering, but like myself all usually have Machinery's Handbook. The information in the Handbook will never be out of date. Some of the photos may show old machines and the older ones do not have much on CNC, but the data is never old. The other book I always have close by is the National Electric Code. I refer to them quite often.

    I have several other references I keep handy, but get quite subject specific and sometimes (like an AutoCAD reference) become obsolete. Can't expect much if a book is computer-related.

    ReplyDelete