10.26.2014

1976 Texas Instruments TI-30 Scientific Calculator

Hi everyone!
Today I'd like to share with you a new addition to my calculator collection: the TI-30, given to me by a friend who got it from a thrift shop. Quick Google-fu will show that it's not especially rare or valuable, but it's an important part of my collection because of its historical significance. It was one of, if not the first affordable scientific calculator - released at a time when most peoples' most powerful computing device was their handheld calculator, and when most calculators of similar functionality were above $100. This one was released for $24.95 and it sold in the millions.



Those circles around the numbers are lenses, to enlarge the small, power-efficient LEDs. This allowed for better battery life. (Blatantly copied from the HP-35.)
Assembled in USA.

1 comment:

  1. Made in USA, a rarity in itself.

    Those old T.I. Calcuators are fun to collect and use.

    ReplyDelete