Useful Websites/Online Tools

Hello everyone!

Thinking of taking this blog in a slightly different direction; spent a while talking about typewriters, and feel like I may have run out of material to talk about, barring when I get a new one.

So I'd like to begin writing about stuff that I really use all the time, useful things that I've picked up along the way through school and internships (and eventually my job).


Here I'd like to talk about a few online tools that I use often.

Best one here - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper
I have been using this site for a long time, at least since junior high (~2007). There are generators for nearly every kind of graph paper you could ever want/need, and customization options galore. Every parameter, from the number of squares per inch to the margins, is adjustable, and you have options ranging from traditional graph paper to guitar tab paper and Cornell system note taking paper, among MANY others. Check it out!

PDF operations - https://www.konwerter.net/
This is a great website for converting to and from PDFs, and doing all sorts of operations (merge, divide into images, etc). The only thing that it doesn't do is allow you to rearrange pages - I use https://www.sejda.com/visually-combine-reorder-pdf for that.

For the MATLAB users out there: http://octave-online.net/
This is an online environment that allows you to run MATLAB commands in a browser! I haven't really used it for heavy programming or anything, but for quick x = A\b stuff it's excellent. (GNU Octave is an open-source alternative to MATLAB, available for Windows, Linux, BSD, and Mac) and its goal is to be 100% compatible, but for the most part I haven't had luck with running anything but quick and simple scripts, as many libraries (e.g. syms) have not been implemented yet and as such severely limit Octave's utility.)

That's all for now!


  1. I keep my blog focused somewhat on typewriters, but also include anything else that piques my interest, from fountain pens to photography. If you include a wide field of interest, it makes for interesting reading by a diverse audience. As for me, I'll continue to read yours. Keep up the good work.


  2. Thanks for the links. I had not known of some of them. I'm going to check out the MATLAB alternatives.

    I've also found it difficult to know what to post if I do not have a new to me typewriter or fountain pen to review or a repair to post.

    1. Thanks for reading! Glad it was useful.

  3. Funny how we seem to bookmark stuff. Mine include a barcode generator (for book jackets), a couple of QR code generators (whatever happened to QR codes?), a cardboard box template machine, and Zamzar for converting those pesky .pub files people send me to something I can actually read and grab text and pics from.