New Sony Shortwave Radio, and a Small Announcement

Hi everyone!

I just got a shortwave radio, since I heard that this particular model had recently gone out of production, and have pulled in stations from China, New York, Cuba, and Ohio in the past couple of nights. (I'm in the Chicagoland area.)

The radio I bought is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, and it's been hailed as one of the best modern portables. It's got SSB capability, which allows me to tune in to communication transmissions, as well as synchronous detection/lock (which I honestly don't completely understand beyond the basic concept that it makes weaker signals easier to decipher).
It also pulls in a jazz station in the area that my smaller radio(s) can't (90.9 FM), which I am actually listening to as I type this.
Here's a front view of the radio. 

Right side panel of the radio
Left side panel of the radio - it even has a line-out jack so I can plug in an external recorder easily and still listen through the headphone port.
Front view of the box

Handsome carrying case
Rear panel of the radio - MADE IN JAPAN
The external "whip" antenna that came with it hooks onto the existing antenna like this.

Oh, one more thing - I graduated from UIUC on May 15th! Now I'm officially a mechanical engineer.


  1. I've got that radio -- I love it. It's really good at holding a signal, and now that I just got a large outdoor antenna for it I'm using it more than ever.

  2. Congrats on graduation! Now, the real world looms :D

    also, nice SW radio - it looks like a descendant of my Sony ICF-2010 which is a pretty good set, loads of fun! (:

    1. Thanks! It's going to be a grand adventure.
      That radio seems like a real workhorse! Hopefully I find one someday.

  3. Hey! Congratulations Vic. I'm don't know if the blue robes are a good look to wear about town but surely they are well earned. So... what happens next?

    1. Thank you! Unfortunately I had to return those robes immediately after graduation...
      Next, I'm off to the working world! Going to be an interesting transition.

  4. Congrats, Vic. I can remember when you posted to this blog about starting school. Has it been that long ago?

    1. Thank you! Sure feels like yesterday to me too!

  5. Congratulations!!! Now your real adventure starts.

    That is a really nice radio. If you play around with DX a.m. or listening or SSB you can hear things other radios only wish they can hear. What it does is really improve your receive sensitivity and signal to noise radio. Depending on the filter used or phase-locked loop design synchronous detection or demodulation really seems to pull the station out of the noise.

    1. Thank you!
      I've heard some Morse code transmissions via SSB, and picked up some AM stations from Cincinnati and New York.

  6. W o W
    I'd love to get such a radio. :D

    W o W
    Engineer at mechanics. xD
    I'd also love to become such a kind of engineer. :D