Congratulations! This one looks in great shape too - the 'command centre' looks suitably complex :-) Not been able to experience an early #1 yet, but tinkering with several #2's made me really appreciate this very clever and robust machine. Again congrats, mikka bra :-)
I sometimes wonder if mine has missing parts. It types, just about OK but it isn't really a pleasure to do so. Still, I keep it for the awesome type bar raising trick. Happy New Year Vic.
Lovely machine. Interestingly, it's different than my Rem 1 with a Nordic keyboard in that mine has the 'Søren Kierkegaard' memorial Ø with a slash through it as well as the umlauts and the 'åÅ' key. I wonder if mine was possibly re-purposed by Remington for overseas use. It's a 20s machine (I don't have it in front of me but my memory's telling me 1924.) But it was sold a decade later in Oslo, Norway (I know this because the proud purchaser, a Mr. Nybro, scratched his name and the year in the paint on the underside of the frame. For me, there's something primeval in using these snappy machines .... definitely a throwback to the early days of portables.
I got my first Remington 1 from a nice eBay lady who offered to just chop the keys off and mail them to me.... aargh! She said it would save on shipping. I said, um no, I'd like the whole thing if you don't mind, ha! Loved it so much I went whole hog and had Cambridge Typewriter put a new platen on it, which quieted it down about 4%, but did make the characters come out better. It is one of my faves and always good to see another one in a good home. cheers, mcget / www.phillytyper.com
Great images of a great machine! Use it in good health. I've also been way behind on my blog and am happy to see yours up an running :-)
ReplyDeleteCongråtulätions!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on a fine typewriter!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Congratulations! This one looks in great shape too - the 'command centre' looks suitably complex :-)
ReplyDeleteNot been able to experience an early #1 yet, but tinkering with several #2's made me really appreciate this very clever and robust machine. Again congrats, mikka bra :-)
I sometimes wonder if mine has missing parts. It types, just about OK but it isn't really a pleasure to do so. Still, I keep it for the awesome type bar raising trick. Happy New Year Vic.
ReplyDeleteLovely machine. Interestingly, it's different than my Rem 1 with a Nordic keyboard in that mine has the 'Søren Kierkegaard' memorial Ø with a slash through it as well as the umlauts and the 'åÅ' key. I wonder if mine was possibly re-purposed by Remington for overseas use. It's a 20s machine (I don't have it in front of me but my memory's telling me 1924.) But it was sold a decade later in Oslo, Norway (I know this because the proud purchaser, a Mr. Nybro, scratched his name and the year in the paint on the underside of the frame. For me, there's something primeval in using these snappy machines .... definitely a throwback to the early days of portables.
ReplyDeleteI got my first Remington 1 from a nice eBay lady who offered to just chop the keys off and mail them to me.... aargh! She said it would save on shipping. I said, um no, I'd like the whole thing if you don't mind, ha! Loved it so much I went whole hog and had Cambridge Typewriter put a new platen on it, which quieted it down about 4%, but did make the characters come out better. It is one of my faves and always good to see another one in a good home. cheers, mcget / www.phillytyper.com
ReplyDelete