I've had this computer in my collection for a while, and finally made a video showcasing it.
Ever wondered how to access the Internet (via a terminal emulator and a Raspberry Pi) with an old DOS laptop? Or what a picture taken on a '97 Sony Mavica MVC-FD7 looks like on a grayscale display?
Even if you didn't, you might find this look at "just another DOS laptop" enjoyable. I certainly had fun making the video.
(Side note: This was edited on a bottom-of-the-line Celeron-based Chromebook (the Asus C202SA), which I installed Linux on (GalliumOS, based on Xubuntu), in Kdenlive. The program may have crashed a few times, and it may have taken about 2 1/2 hours to render a 15 minute video (with a couple unfortunate glitches), but it's certainly way more than this humble Chromebook would have been able to hope for if it had its stock ChromeOS installed.)\
That was pretty cool. I still have some of my old, and I do mean old, software. This would be a neat way to bring it back to life.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly would! It's one of the main reasons I keep a Windows 7 PC on standby (Win7 HDD sitting in a drawer), since it's got the best compatibility for old games I liked to play back in the day.
DeleteThanks for watching!
Neat video. That is a nice old computer. Not many that old still work. I wonder if the unknown optional place for a port was for a PCMCIA card port. Until you mentioned Kermit I forgot all about one of the most popular programs from way back in the old days when 9600 baud was super fast.
ReplyDeleteGood work.
Thanks Bill!
DeleteI didn't realize PCMCIA cards were around back then.
Side note: One thing I neglected in the video was to connect it to a monitor and try some games!
(Maybe I'll make a short followup video later, but I did try it offline and given the lack of a PC speaker, they're not too fun to play.)